I’ve only gone and done it; booked my first ever driving
lesson at the grand old age of 35 that is. I’m terrified and I haven’t even
stepped inside the car yet.
I never felt the need
to drive before having Taters, I could get around just fine on public transport
and let’s face it, there are too many cars on the road already. I quite liked
slinging a back pack over my shoulder and travelling wherever I pleased by
train, sitting back listening to my ipod, flicking leisurely through a
magazine while enjoying a cup of tea, maybe a bar of chocolate… ah bliss! But slinging a mountain of
“baby essentials” into a changing bag, then lugging my things, his things, him
and the buggy to the station in time to catch the train, carefully timing it to
fit in with his routine so he isn’t overtired and grumpy, then trying to
entertain said child on the train so as not to annoy other passengers… Well you
get the picture, that’s not so relaxing.
I accept that you lose certain freedoms in having a child,
and I’m fine with that. But I’m hoping that by learning to drive we’ll regain
some we’ve never had before. And there’s just so much I want to show my little
boy, so many things we can do – right now we’re limited to wherever we can get
to by buggy and foot and if we want to go further we need to enlist the
grandparents who drive. But I don’t want to be a burden any longer… The time is
right to drive.
That doesn’t mean I’m not terrified though. I’m scared of
other drivers bearing down on me while I crawl along the road terrified to go
over 20mph, I’m scared of other drivers shaking their fists at me when I make
some inevitable error or other, I’m pretty much scared of other drivers full
stop (they seem like such an impatient and unforgiving bunch). And learning
something in public, on full display, in front of others who already know how
to do it – it sends shudders down my spine.
This was one of my New Year resolutions and it may have taken me until March to pluck up the courage to do it, but do it I will. We all know it's good to do something outside of your comfort zone once in a while, it gives you a new zest for life...
No comments:
Post a Comment