The sun is shining, the garden is blossoming, my
back is red and burning… British summer time is here! For now at least, it
tends to come and go in little bursts of lovely sunshine punctuated with longer
spells of gray and drizzly skies. It’s a great reminder to seize the moment and
live it up while you can, for tomorrow it may be raining.
I’m forever working at something, sorting the
garden out, fixing things in the house – working towards the fabled day when
everything is finished and I can just enjoy the house, or sit out in the lovely
(completed) garden and enjoy the weather. I find myself enviably watching my
neighbours enjoying a glass of wine in the sun while I’m up my ladder painting
the dining room – and I wonder if I’ve got it all wrong! Obviously I have, you
can’t wait until you’ve finished all your jobs, or got things ‘just so’ to then
start living. You have to do it anyway, amidst the chaos and imperfections.
And actually I’ve not done too bad in making the
most of this current heat wave, we’ve just returned from a week at Centre Parcs
which Taters enjoyed immensely. I like Centre Parcs, although I can’t say I
love it – it doesn’t thrill or inspire me the way other places do. Yes it’s
living in a forest which is right up my street, but it’s just that little bit
too conventional for me, too sanitised, too mainstream. But for a mother with a
nervous disposition such as myself, it feels safe and convenient, and right now
that is fine with me. Hopefully when I get a little braver we’ll swap the nice-enough
chalets for yurts or something a little more ‘us’.
But right now it suits us just fine, and it was
relaxing to be able to get up and have so many things around us with which to
fill our day, all on our doorstep and without having to slog up great big hills
and negotiate public transport to get there. We went swimming every day, had a
lovely cheesy family portrait taken, ate out every day… but more than anything
Taters just adored wandering around the woods shouting at ducks and chasing
rabbits, picking up pine cones and sticks, exploring the forest and discovering
it’s inhabitants. Honestly there was so much wildlife outside our patio door it
was like living in a Disney film. And it really surprised me just how quiet the
forest was, even when filled with so many people, it was truly lovely hearing
the owls in the dead of night.
Back home I miss the peace and quiet, at first
the busy roads and tightly packed terraced houses of home made me feel hemmed
in and claustrophobic. But I’ve acclimatised again now, it never takes long
does it? And now we’re back among all
the jobs that need doing, the clutter that needs sorting, and once again it’s
easy to find excuses NOT to get out and enjoy the day. Yes, I really do have it
all wrong! It just goes to show, you acquire all these things you think you
need to be happy – but then you go away, taking only the essentials, and
somehow you’re happier there. Hmmn, makes you think doesn’t it?

No comments:
Post a Comment